Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's Out of My Hands Now

About 40 minutes ago I turned in the last of my qualifier exams. It's a great feeling to be done. The only problem now is that I have to wait until Wednesday to see my results.

If you wondering what the qualifier exams are, let me tell you. Last semester I took 3 classes that every ChE grad student takes during their first year of grad school. The semester after taking these classes, students take the qualifier exams. These exams are based on the 3 classes of the previous semester. They are taken over 3 days (3 hours each day) and each day has one question from one each of the 3 classes. There are a lot of 3's in this paragraph. The exams are graded, then based on a combination of your exam score and your GPA from the previous semester, the faculty decide if you deserve a High Pass, Pass, or Fail. High Pass means that you qualify for the PhD program, Pass is for the Masters program. Fail means that you qualify to be kicked out. If I don't get a High Pass, I'll need to get a Masters degree first and retake the qualifiers next year to try to get into the PhD program. I don't want to do that.

Anyway, I've known for over a year that I'd be taking these exams, but they've been weighing down on me pretty heavily the last couple of weeks. It's such a nice feeling to be done. There's nothing more I can do about it. I just have to wait and see what my future will hold for me now.

1 comment:

  1. To celebrate the qualifiers being out of your hands, you should watch Monsters Inc. because Mike makes up a silly song about "It's out of my hands!"

    ReplyDelete