Thursday, February 11, 2010

How I Spent My Night

Toffee Crunch Crepe Cake

So, if you've looked at all at my other blog, 100 Things, you probably have a pretty good idea that I like food and that I like cooking. Well, tonight proved to me again that I really do enjoy working with food.

Tomorrow, the chemical engineering graduate students are participating in a "Cultural Culinary Conclave" for the weekly graduate seminar. Students are encouraged to bring a food either from their home country or some other country they have a connection to. Last year I represented Canada and made Nanaimo Bars. I didn't want to make the same thing two years in a row, but I couldn't think of anything else from Canada that I could do well (I've been wanting to take poutine, but I just can't think of a way to make it convenient for everyone there and to make it fresh enough so that I don't just show up with a goopy mess of soggy fries). So, this year I decided to go represent France and make crepes. However, I didn't just show up with a plate full of crepes (even though I'm sure people would love them). Instead, I decided to go with a recipe that my sister gave me a while ago. This would be the Toffee Crunch Crepe Cake that is pictured above.

Anyway, this is pretty much what my entire night consisted of after getting back from institute tonight. It's actually a pretty simple cake to make, but it's time consuming because of the crepes. I decided to make two cakes just to make sure there was enough for everyone. So, this meant that I ended up spending an hour standing at the stove making crepes. Do I normally like to stand in one spot for an hour? No. But this wasn't really a problem tonight, or most any other time that I'm cooking. Anyway, I actually ended up with enough crepes to make three cakes, so now we have an extra one that is staying at the apartment. My roommates were happy to hear about that.

Something else interesting about all of this is that I have another roommate who likes to cook, and who cooks for us quite a bit. He tends to stick to the savoury side of things and cook main course type foods. While I like to cook in general and like making nice dinners, I tend to spend more time on the baking/sweets side of things. I guess that balances things out in the apartment.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Perhaps one day you can make it for the sister that gave you that gave you the recipe, ie me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did everybody love as much as we did? It was probably the best Christmas dinner dessert ever!

    ReplyDelete