Monday, February 1, 2010

A Little Thinking

Something happened this morning that go me thinking a bit. I have a good friend who is on a mission right now and I'm one of the people that her parents forward her weekly emails to, which usually come Monday morning. Well, this morning her email contained some sad news from her mission. Apparently a couple of Elders passed away recently because of a gas leak in their apartment. Obviously this was completely unexpected and a total shock. Nobody ever expects someone they know to pass away suddenly, especially on their mission when they're on the Lord's errand.

As soon as I read her email I started thinking about a former roommate and dear friend of mine who passed away during Christmas break just over three years ago. We had only been back from our missions for a year and a half, so he would have been close to the same age as these Elders. It was also completely unexpected with no warning in advance. He was one of the best people I have ever met and it was really hard to hear the news.

I think it's interesting how quickly we can become so close to somebody. We had only met during our freshman year at college. And in the four years between us meeting and him passing away, we had only been in the same area for less than half that time. However, he was one of the best friends I've had.

Anyway, in thinking about all of this, I am also reminded about the comfort that I received. It was really hard for the first couple of days. But, things got better. I still miss him, but the gospel and a knowledge of the Plan of Salvation helped with coping with the situation. I know that death isn't the end. I know that God loves and cares for all of us and that situations like these aren't just random, pointless tragedies. We might not always understand the point behind them, and sometimes it is only meant to be understood by a select few, but there is a reason behind it.

It's interesting how a knowledge of the Plan of Salvation can take situations like this and remind us of the greatness of the Plan and also fill us with faith and hope. Like I said, I still miss my friend, but the pain that I initially felt upon receiving the news has since been replaced with greater faith in our Heavenly Father's plan. And I believe that this can happen with any challenge, hardship, or tragedy that we encounter.

1 comment:

  1. I read about these missionaries yesterday. I had forgotten about your friend being there. This will be very hard for all of them. It is always a frightening thing to sent a child away whether it is a mission or school or whatever else. I always worried and I couldn't stand to listen to any faith promoting talks in conference or anywhere else about missionaries being hurt or killed and the great faith their families showed or the strength their families received. I didn't want to think about it.
    We all miss Ivan. He was a great guy and his death was such a shock. I too am glad for the Plan of Salvation and I hope I can measure up. I have several people there that I will be so happy to see again.

    ReplyDelete