Monday, April 25, 2011

How to Do Everything

I recently read a book by a very well known handyman. Give him a roll of duct tape and he can accomplish just about anything. This man, of course, is the great Canadian hero Red Green. I first saw the Red Green Show in the early '90s and have been a fan ever since. This last Christmas, my parents gave me his most recent book How to Do Everything. This book claims to be a completely exhaustive guide to do-it-yourself AND self help. Red Green guides the reader through docking a power boat, how to apologize, how to turn bad gifts into a weather station, reducing your carbon footprint, subjects you should not bring up with your wife, how to measure your hat size with a 2x4 and many other semi-useful topics. It was a fun read, and some of his advice was surprisingly good (on rare occasion).

Before reading How to Do Everything, however, I finished another book about another man who can do just about anything with anything. This would be my Grandpa Laycock. A few years ago a couple of my cousins interviewed Grandpa Laycock and these interviews were edited and compiled by my uncle and then printed as the book Hugh Laycock: Legacy. Everyone in the family received a copy. It is one of the most valuable books that I own. Since I grew up on the farm, I saw my grandpa a lot as he would come out to either do some work on the farm or on his ultra-lights. I've always known that he is a great man and a hard worker, but I learned so much more about him as I read his book. And I'm not kidding when I say that it seems like he can do just about anything. The following is a list, from page 99 of the book, of activities that Grandpa Laycock pursued:

Actor, airplane builder, boat builder, businessman, carpenter, church leader, drummer (he made some of the drums himself as well), electrician, explosives expert, farmer, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, hunter, husband, inventor, mechanic, photographer, pilot, plumber, public speaker, realtor, singer, tourist, violinist, welder.

And I'm sure the list could go on. Reading about my grandpa, and learning some new stories about him, simply reinforced something that I already knew: Grandpa Laycock is a wonderful, kind, hard working man who loves his family and the gospel. I am so thankful that I can call him my grandpa.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. Grampa Laycock is terrific. In fact, in the grampa department, you have been doubly blessed.
    Dad was happy to see that you wrote about two of his favourite people. Red Green is every handyman's hero! The main difference between Grampa and Red Green is that Grampa actually knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Grandpa book. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. Same with Grammy's book.

    I think Red Green built my house, which is why it is so cheaply held together. At least I know where to find duct tape!

    ReplyDelete